Sparking Curiosity and Igniting Passions in Learners

Published on: Author: principalhastings 2 Comments

I have begun my second IMMOOC (Innovator’s Mindset Massive Open Online Course) and am reading Learner Centered Innovation by Katie Martin (last year it was The Innovator’s Mindset  by George Couros).  A suggested topic of discussion is:  “Why is it critical to spark curiosity and ignite passions in learners?”

I have been on a journey of supporting the transition from teacher-centered to student-centered instruction.  As a principal, I have to lead teachers to understand why we need to change what we do.  If students have been traditionally successful on standardized tests, as students at my campus have been, it takes some time to change mindsets.  Since I work with the best teachers on the planet, it has truly been a collaborative exchange; I am so grateful to work with them!

We started making this change by utilizing PBL (Project-Based Learning) into our classrooms at Young Junior High School.  This was effective in most areas; the challenge was thinking deeply about how to connect the TEKS (standards) with the world outside of the school.  In most cases, those connections were made, but Math teachers didn’t see that they had the time to use PBL to teach.  It is definitely true that the Math TEKS are a mile wide and two inches deep, and time is a concern for all teachers.  We collaborated and came to the conclusion that as long as we are making mathematics relevant to students, and students understand why they are learning what they are learning, that students would benefit from that piece.

Teachers saw that when they sparked curiosity by making their classrooms more relevant, students were more engaged!  When the adults started seeing the changes in student interest, that sold them on the reason why they needed to continue in this change effort.  Passions were ignited from this relatively small change!  Student choice became a focus, as well.  Once they had the student buy-in, learning was greatly enhanced!   

Katie Martin created a graphic for “The Evolving Role of the Educator” which includes co-designer of powerful learning (including students in the planning process through their interests), partner in learning (teachers learning alongside their students), community developer (students and teachers developing relationships with the community) connector (creating a connection about their learning outside the school) & activator (connecting to John Hattie’s work to provide feedback, have students set goals, and having students monitor their own learning).  This is what student-centered learning is!

Thanks, Katie, for breaking it down and making it explicit for the rest of us!

2 Responses to Sparking Curiosity and Igniting Passions in Learners Comments (RSS) Comments (RSS)

1. To me (at least in my content area), the TEKS are kind of vague and are perfect for empowering the students to be innovative. Fortunately I’m not in a (STAAR) tested content; so I’m pretty much left alone. Good post.