Learner-Centered Experiences

Published on: Author: principalhastings 2 Comments

As I may have shared in a previous post, I am engaging in my second “IMMOOC” – Innovator’s Mindset Massive Open Online Course (this is the first time I haven’t had to look up what IMMOOC stands for).  For Season 4, GeorgeCouros opened up the experience so participants can choose between three books – Innovator’s Mindset, Empower,  by John Spencer and AJ Juliani, and Learner Centered Innovation. by Katie Martin.  I hadn’t read Learner Centered Innovation yet, so I chose that one.

Episode 2 suggested two blog post topics.  I will discuss the conditions critical to support learning and innovation with teachers, so that it can happen for students.

I am fortunate to work with teachers at Young Junior High School in Arlington, TX, who believe that education should be learner-centered!  After six years, teachers feel empowered to take risks, and to allow students to take risks in their learning.  They take ownership in the school, often suggesting ways to improve – then making those changes!  It took some time.  That isn’t the teacher’s fault, at all; it was mine.  As a principal, I NOW understand that we need to support learning and innovation by, first, creating trust.  I shake my head when I look back; I built relationships but not true trust.  At first.

Teachers have to feel safe to take risks, and know that if they fail it’s all right!  They’ve definitely seen me fail, acknowledge it (sometimes apologize) and move forward.  Note to fellow principals:  if we don’t create these conditions in the school, those conditions are probably not going to exist in the classroom.  Certainly not system-wide.  We have to provide choice for teachers, as well!  We have to model what we want students to experience in the classroom.  When is the last time you offered a choice in teachers’ professional learning?

Creating a positive culture is important if change is going to occur.  Kids need positive kudos; so do teachers.  Support risk-taking by giving credit to those teachers who step out of their comfort zone!  And those who fail forward, as well!

Change is hard, right?  In the book, Switch:  How to Change Things when Change is Hard, written by Dan and Chip Heath, they discuss that there is a logical side to change (the Rider), an emotional side (the Elephant), and then people need to be given a path for that change.  This probably shouldn’t have been the huge “aha” that it was for me, but it was.  We have to acknowledge and support the emotional side of change, and we have to provide a direction (path) for that change.  If we are going to move from teacher-centered to student-centered (learner-centered), we have to include all three of these concepts (logic, emotion, and a path).

Our entire district is moving to become more student-centered and have recently created and started to roll-out the Active Learning Cycle, which grew from the Strategic Plan in Arlington ISD.   This is a learner-centered curriculum.  Part of it is following Best Practice rubrics that include “future-ready” skills, soon-to-be-called “Life Ready Skills.”  I support this change, actually; the “future” is  along time away, where “life” is here and now.

We started utilizing PBL for the purpose of creating a learner centered learning environment a few years ago.  Most teachers really like it.  You know what, so do kids!  This journey has been amazing, and continues to be!  Thank you, teachers of Young Junior High, for supporting my growth!  Mostly, I appreciate that we are in it together!  We couldn’t do it alone…

#LCInnovation  #IMMOOC4 Follow me on Twitter!  @kelhastings

2 Responses to Learner-Centered Experiences Comments (RSS) Comments (RSS)

1. Change is hard, but change is needed for innovation. The more we empower students, the more students centered our schools will become. Good Post!